Time is one of the most valuable commodities that we have. Once this day is over, we will never get it back. You can make more money but you can’t make more time. Perhaps it is because time is given to us freely the day we were born, often times people have a tendency of taking it for granted and wasting it.
Life is short. If we don’t value each day, we will let our life drifting along and before you know it, 10 years and 20 years will have gone. It is sad when people come to the end of their lives just to realize that they have wasted so many days, weeks, months and years with their dreams still unfulfilled.
Are you using your time wisely to create a life with passion and purpose or are you living your life distracted and accepting whatever comes along? Are you investing your time in people and things that matter to you or are you wasting your time? In short, are you truly living or only existing?
Everyone can dream, but not everyone can make their dreams a reality. Why? People either get distracted, get lazy, get impatient, or they give up too soon. If we want to create a life we desire, not only do we need to have a vision and clear goals, we must be good at managing our time daily towards achieving our life goals. Successful people are good at this. They have a habit of setting clear goals and taking persistent actions in achieving them. They have a focused mind and they are willing to pay the price in order to realize their dreams. Very often, people who don’t have any purpose and goal in life end up spending their time helping successful people fulfilling their dreams. What would you prefer? Living your life or living someone else’s life?
In order to live a life that we desire and dream of, we must develop ourselves to be good at the “5Ps” – Purpose, Plan, People, Present and Persevere.
1. Purpose – If you want to take charge of your life, you need to be an “on purpose person“. You need to have a focused mind and manage your time wisely. You can be talented and have great potential, but if you are not disciplined in how you spend your time and get distracted easily, you will end up getting off track. Spending hours a day on social media, watching TV, playing video games, window shopping or gossiping on the phone is not making productive use of your time. Are you spending most of your time living purposefully towards realizing the kind of life that you desire?
2. Plan – There are tremendous amount of temptations out there that can pull you way from your dream. What we need is to plan our life wisely. By failing to plan, we are planning to fail. Therefore, we need to have a time planner system to allow us to plan each day, each week, each month and each year. I encourage you to keep a record of how you spend your time for a couple weeks and identify some of your time wasting activities – activities that are not aligned with your life purpose. Once you have identify them, work on reducing these activities intentionally.
3. People – Be very conscious of who you are spending most of your time with. Are these people helping you or hindering you in achieving your life goals? Are you spending enough time with people that you love? For example, if you aspire to live a healthy and happy life style, are you surround yourself with friends who are living a healthy and happy life style too? If not, you might need to change some of your friends. Surround yourself with people who are caring, supportive and can add values to each other, and you will find your life begins to change for the better.
4. Present – The word “present” has two meanings: now and a gift. That means, we should treat every moment as a gift, and be grateful for it. With the gift of life comes responsibility to make good use of it. That means we should be doing our best to develop our talent, to pursue our dreams and serve others. You have a seed of greatness inside you ready to flourish, and your potential to be unleashed. Make the decision to redeem yours today!
5. Persevere – The will to persevere is often the difference between failure and success. Hence, perseverance is an attitude that we must have in pursuing our dream. The famous inventor, Thomas Edison, said, “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” That means, if we want to be successful in anything, we should never give up. If we can be persistent with our efforts, be ready to improve when we make mistakes, be patient to see our results, and never give up, one day we will succeed.
Let’s make everyday count and live our lives to the fullest!
Upwards & Onwards!